Dogs have a habit of swallowing or trying to eat anything in sight. This can lead to potential health risks, as it’s easy for objects to get lodged in a dog’s throat and obstruct their breathing. There are also plenty of foods and objects that are difficult for dogs to digest and can even be poisonous. As dog owners, there’s no worse feeling than seeing our furry friends in trouble. That’s why we’ve prepared the following article that details what to do if your dog swallows a foreign object. It can happen to any dog at any time, which is why it’s best to be educated and informed about the best course of action. It just might save your dog’s life!
1. Don’t Panic
It’s natural for many dog owners to freak out if they see their dog swallow a foreign object. Dogs can get into trouble quickly, and in the blink of an eye that can be choking or struggling to breathe after swallowing something that they shouldn’t have. It’s key for you as a pet owner to avoid panicking and keep your wits about you. If you are panicking, you can’t think logically to help your dog out. Hopefully, this article will help you avoid panicking in these types of scenarios so that you can get your dog help as soon as possible.
2. Try to Remove the Object If Possible
Sometimes, dogs don’t swallow the object and will have the object lodged in their mouth. The best course of action here is to try to remove the object as soon as possible before they swallow it. However, it’s possible that your dog won’t cooperate with you. If that’s the case, they might need to be sedated to get the object out. If you notice that your dog is having trouble breathing, you should take them to the local veterinarian as soon as you can. Even if you don’t see your dog swallow a foreign object, if you notice respiratory difficulties, take them to the vet.
3. Keep an Eye Out for Warning Signs
It’s important to understand some of the warning signs that signify your dog has swallowed something. It’s quite common for owners to miss out on the physical act of their dog swallowing a foreign object. If that’s the case, look out for vomiting after they eat. Constant vomiting usually signifies that there is a complete blockage and that your dog should be taken to the veterinarian immediately for help. Pale gums and bloody urine are also signs that something might be wrong.
4. When in Doubt, Take them to the Vet
We’ve mentioned in some of our earlier points that a trip to the vet is usually the best course of action. If you aren’t comfortable trying to assess your dog on your own or think that they might need the vet, it’s better to take them immediately. Time is of the essence when your dog swallows harmful foreign objects, so the quicker you take them in the better.